Blessings in a Backpack in Effingham, Ill., to Provide Additional Support During School Closure
Many area kids receive assistance from Blessings in a Backpack on a weekly basis, and that assistance will remain available during the school closures mandated by Illinois Governor JB Pritzker Friday, March 13, 2020, amid the National Emergency of the COVID-19 Coronavirus.
We spoke via phone with Casey Burgholzer of Blessings in a Backpack Friday evening, who shared the organization’s plans with us.
Burgholzer said $15 vouchers to Kirby IGA were delivered to all schools Friday. Those were included in the bags that went home with students on Friday.
Blessings in a Backpack will also move forward with their packing session on Tuesday, March 17.
Burgholzer said that since they will be unable to send bags home with kids (as they do each Friday), the plan will be to make bags available for blessings recipients to pick up at the following locations (updated Monday evening).
- Effingham High School, 1301 W. Grove, in the circle drive
- South Side Grade School, 211 W. Douglas, in the west end drive
- Kohl’s, 1600 Ford Ave, parking lot
- Mason Christian Church, 624 IL-37, Main Entrance
- Mason Township Park District, 710 Indiana St., Edgewood, Main Entrance
Hours of Distribution: 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Hendelmeyer Rec Center (Ron Diehl Center), 1906 S 4th St, main parking lot (available starting Wednesday, March 18)
Hours of Distribution: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
If you’re feeling ill, it’s requested that you not attend the packing session, or pick up a backpack.
Should the school closure extend past the 30th, Burgholzer said Blessings in a Backpack plans to coordinate with schools to possibly have vouchers mailed.